Our Academic Health Science Network brings together a wealth of expertise and talent in the South West peninsula to improve the health of patients and the population as a whole.
Our network membership consists of two universities, clinical commissioning groups and health service providers from across Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
We want to harness and align the capabilities of research and health services in this region, with the science and technology sectors so that we can maximise joint opportunities for economic growth and prosperity. Local authorities, economic development partnerships and commerce will be valued partners. There will also be opportunities for patients and the general public to get involved and make a positive contribution to our work.
By closing this gap we believe the health and wellbeing of people living in Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly can be improved.
Our work will focus on:
- Increasing the number of people taking part in health research
- Making sure that research and learning becomes best practice
- Giving the healthcare workforce the right skills and knowledge needed to provide high quality patient care and services
- Improving what information is collected, used and shared to find and develop innovation and best practice
- Building strong links with industry to support innovation and best practice in health and social care; and generate ‘wealth creation’ opportunities for local economic growth